ness goss

Travel and life info

Monday, May 21, 2007

How do I become a food critic?

Ok, it all started when at 6 months old I found a love for fresh South Aussie whole prawns sitting in a highchair (I am sure the picture to prove this is lurking somewhere at my Grandmas).
I received a Peter Russell Clarke cookbook - one of the original celeb chefs (far from the 'my first' series) for my 5th Christmas. I could barely read, but cooking was definitely my forte from a young age. Both my parents are good cooks - both creative and daring. My dad should open a restaurant just selling gourmet omelettes. These genetic dispositions and living in Adelaide sets you up for high standards in the food and wine department for life.

When we first got a microwave, I instructed my father to ensure he pricked the egg before cooking it senselessly in the microwave - to be sure of no explosions. I was about 7.

All through my childhood we were taken to fancy restaurants, extravagant dinners for special occasions and we always treated as equals, like a group of friends going out to dinner.
I studied home economics, food hygiene, biology and small business management in high school. The venture I led was called 'Bonza Brekkies'. We made a profit selling the likes of ham and cheese croissants, vegemite or other condiments on toast to starving teenagers.
My aim (though I strayed between wanting to be a forensic scientist and fitness instructor) was to be a chef. Unfortunately, despite my maturity, there was little career counselling and advice given at school about how to enter this work force.

During school I worked at a hotel crumbing schnittys, doing dishes and did a bout of work experience at Scottys Motel and the German Club in Adelaide making German potato cakes.
My first week out of school I was working at a Chinese restaurant and studying hospitality at TAFE. I then moved to Melbourne. This in hindsight wasn't enough. I got a job at an Italian restaurant where I was more hands on in the kitchen. Boring.

From here I sailed between customer service related jobs eventuating in 10 years of working IT. How far you sail away when your mast is down.
What an experience I have had. Especially through the definity of culture - food.

I am also living in London, which helps you appreciate the food you discover travelling the world.
I think I could tell you anything about any type of food. Any culture. Any country.
But where do I go from here? Maybe a writing course? Who knows. Maybe Ill freelance.. London is such a big melting pot, but with little standards - and I think I am just the person to highlight the best of the rest.

Does anyone have any ideas, contacts, mentors to help me on my way?

1 Comments:

At 12:29 pm, Blogger Ronnieroo said...

Ohhhhh!I think you'd make a wonderful food critic darlin'!!
Check my blog to see a dashing Rodney in airforce uniform getting hitched to his sweetie Beth who is half his height even in six inch heels. She's very cute, and inspite of her height can really keep him in check.
Love aunty RRRRRRR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Counter