ness goss

Travel and life info

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Surrender ye olde Australian drivers licence


Congestion Charge

In 2003 London became the world’s first major city to introduce a congestion charge to reduce the flow of traffic into its centre from Monday to Friday. While the number of cars entering the ‘congestion zone’ has fallen as a result, driving in London can still be slow, particularly in the rush hour.




As most things in London, It took a long time to accedentally stumble across.

Whilst considering the purchase of a BMW (fulfilling a long term goal - and cause I can) in the UK as an alternative to public transport, I did a bit of research regarding the expense of it all.
Car insurance. Mostly nowadays done online, I filled in my details. £3000 per year..... hmmm... is it really that expensive? Lets do a check.
I changed one key element - international drivers licence to UK drivers licence. £600 per year....

This is something I need to look into further! Locally known as the DVLA, (aka Motor Reg!) I discovered that technically, after 1 year residing in the UK, an Australian drivers licence is invalid. There is however one option. Exchange your Oz licence for a Brit one. Its not all that hard;-
Send in some cash, a painstaking filled in form, your british passport!!!!!!!!!!!, a new passport sized shot and the old Oz licence (you know the one with the nice piccy from when you were in your early 20s). Wait for 3 weeks and hope that some welshperson doesnt accidently misplace/copy/steal/sell on Ebay your British passport.
Well on returning from Cork Ireland for St Pats day, there was my returned passport in the mail. I felt I had slightly betrayed the passport by using my Oz one in its place. But at least I got a stamp!

So its official - I can legally drive in the UK - minus the international insurance price tag status in my bank account!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:49 am, Blogger Ronnieroo said...

If you ever have to get you Aussie drivers license back go to Murray Bridge to do it! Just Ask Mernie!
Ireland for St Patty's Day! That had to be good.How do you live through something like that!
Love Aunt R

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Counter